For more information about the Angus indicator program, please contact the Canadian Angus Association by email or by phone at 1-888-571-3580.
Maximize indicator retention by following these guidelines:
- Select the proper buttons. Be sure that the backing studs correspond to the matching front of the indicator. The backing stud with the Angus logo is for the RFID indicator. Plain green backing studs are for the herd management (dangle) indicator (matched sets).
- Please ensure you use the correct supplier (Allflex or Datamars) tagger to apply your Canadian Angus indicators.
- The RFID indicator with the protruding black cap always goes to the front. Reversing the indicator not only reduces retention, it violates Health of Animals legislation.
- For RFID indicators, remove the black plastic clip from the tagger, allowing the indicator to fit properly into the tagger’s jaws. If the indicator is not aligned correctly it could be damaged, causing it to later fall out.
- Make sure the arrow on the back side of the electronic indicator points outward.
- Do not retag in the same hole.
Place indicators in the proper location in the ear. The shape of the ear protects the indicator and minimizes snagging. Apply the indicator in the middle of the ear closer to the head between the two main veins of the ear.
- Place the indicator in the applicator and dip it into antiseptic solution before applying each indicator.
- The application site should be free from foreign debris before application.
- Air space between the indicator and the ear is crucial to proper healing and retention; inspect the ear after application to ensure there is proper space.
For more information on the Angus indicator program, please contact the Canadian Angus Association by email or by phone at 1-888-571-3580.